Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Oh Those Eyes!

I'm sure that most of you out there already know this but since I'm ALWAYS learning, when I stumble onto something or figure something out or just have the most AMAZING epiphany (lol), then I absolutely must share it with the world!  Hey, if nothing else, it helps sink the info deeper into some dark recess of my brain, hopefully not to fly out again any time soon. :)
The other day I had my friends boys hangin' out with us.  As usual (boys being boys) they had found a MASSIVE 4" slug and were messing around with it, UGH!  One of the boys asked if we dared him to put it on his face (boys!).  So, of course, we said, "YES!".  I grabbed the camera and had a blast :D  I'll share the slug image too but I must carry out my mission of sharing what happened first!

The younger of the boys wanted me to take his pic as well.  Aiming to get crisp, clear, sharp eyes, WITH catch light mind you.... on an f/1.8 (OF COURSE).... it just wasn't working out as well as I had liked.  With Jasmine running through my head, "look for natural reflectors", I realized he was facing me, facing the house, AWAY from the light.  I really didn't like the first set I had gotten, so I asked him to come back and do just ONE more :)  I had him turn to his right just a tad, toward the cement walkway (I did too) and voila!  Instant catch light, lost the shadowy bags that NO boy should have under his eyes and those gorgeous baby blues popped right out at me.

What a concept. I know these things, but seeing it happen with just the turn of a head was too cool!  Being a self-taught photographer isn't the easiest route but I do love the challenge.  He was a great sport so I didn't ask him for more or they would have been a tad crisper so this will have to do (images are SOOC).

MORAL:  "Always look for natural reflectors" (and use them!)

His eyes aren't very bright (has gorgeous ones!) and there's some icky bags.... poor kid looks like he needs some sleep!
It blew my mind to see how much of a change from turning just a few inches made!  Not to mention the better background :D



Oh YAH!  The slug :)  Can't forget the slug!

Boys!

1 comment:

  1. I know about what you are talking about BUT the pics say it all. WOW! What a difference.

    ReplyDelete